Bernie Ecclestone was arrested, and later released on bail, after a gun was found in his luggage when he attempted to board a flight in Brazil, Reuters has reported.
Ecclestone was boarding a private flight to Switzerland, where he owns a residence in Gstaad, when police found an LW Seecamp .32 gun in his luggage during a pre-flight X-ray scan. The weapon is a type of compact automatic pistol and measures around 14cm.
Ecclestone was taken to Viracopos airport in Campinas, a short distance from Sao Paulo, where Brazil’s round of the Formula 1 world championship is held. After being arrested, he paid bail and was allowed to fly to Switzerland.
Ecclestone ran Formula 1 prior to its sale to Liberty Media at the end of 2016. He was made chairman emeritus, a role which expired at the beginning of 2020.
During his stay in Brazil, Ecclestone attended a stock car event at Interlagos in Sao Paulo and was pictured with former Ferrari F1 driver and ex-FIA karting president Felipe Massa.
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 F1 season
- Mercedes “pretty disappointed” after missing chance to get Hamilton on front row
- Hamilton ‘definitely doesn’t agree’ with Silverstone fans booing Verstappen
- Verstappen says he doesn’t care if Silverstone crowd boo him
- Leclerc “didn’t deserve pole” after spin at Chapel delays Verstappen
- 2022 British Grand Prix qualifying day in pictures