Kevin Magnussen was given a warning by race control top stop changing his line in braking zones while trying to stop Daniel Ricciardo overtaking him.
Following his lap 49 pit stop Ricciardo launched a series of attacks on Magnussen, who at one stage came off the racing line approaching turn one. “This cunt’s taking the piss, moving under braking,” Ricciardo told his team on the radio.
Shortly afterwards Magnussen was told “race control warning about moving under braking”.
FIA race director Michael Masi explained the purpose of the warning to Magnussen. “There was a warning to the team about the consistency of it, not so much the one-off [move], but [the] repeated part of it.”
“The warning was for this event and that’s it,” Masi added. “Next event, clean sheet of paper.”
F1 drivers have previously urged race control to take action against drivers making late moves to defend their position under braking.
“There’s one movement generally allowed to protect your line,” said Masi. “But the movement under braking and is something the drivers, from Bahrain when we’ve had our meeting with them all, something they wanted us, particularly if it’s constant, to crack down on.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’