They may not have laid the tarmac at America’s newest F1 venue yet – but that didn’t stop Red Bull getting an early lap in on the new track.
David Coulthard drove the team’s show car at the home of the 2012 United States Grand Prix, which is in the early stages of construction, last weekend.
“It’s certainly a circuit the drivers are going to enjoy,” said Coulthard, “there’s a lot of elevation change here.”
Race promoter Tavo Hellmund said he wants the track to have ‘old school’ appeal:
“We’re going to be able to accomplish building the closest thing to a traditional, old school Grand Prix track from the fifties and sixties – with the elevation, with the fast corners, with the technical corners.
“Unfortunately we have a lot of FIA requirements that are safety requirements, but I think that’s the one thing, the one characteristic that all the drivers and all the riders are going to come here and say, ‘man, that’s an old school-type track.”
Here’s video of Coulthard driving around the site, plus an interview with him and Hellmund:
Video: Red Bull explore the Circuit of the Americas
Images: Red Bull explore the Circuit of the Americas
Thanks to Dan Selby for editing the video
- Horner collects Red Bull’s championship trophy and dedicates it to Mateschitz
- “Brabham” Formula 1 documentary reviewed
- Video exclusive: Haas team principal Guenther Steiner talks to RaceFans
- New videos show fans’ views of Singapore start crash which claimed both Ferraris
- New video of Ricciardo’s qualifying crash
- “This car is wide!” Hamilton narrates a lap in the W08
- Video: Watch McLaren launch their new 2017 car live
- Video: Hulkenberg has first Renault run
- Top ten F1 fans’ videos of the 2016 season
- New video compares Hamilton, Rosberg and Verstappen’s corner-cutting
Browse all F1 videos
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images